Home Forums Death Thomas Laqueur's 'The Work of the Dead'

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  The Commoner 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

The Commoner
    Keymaster

I own the book. It is a cumbersome but worthwile read.
    Our “relationship with the dead is a consequence of the philosophical difficulties with death itself and the phenomenology of living with the dead and their relics.” This quote struck me as perceptive. The dead do not move..they do not care for their remains…yet we construct tombs in their memories.

In this lecture, Thomas Laqueur explains that the moment we began caring for the dead, we transcended nature and created culture…this idea of the dead being responsible for much cultural activity is worth reflection.

• Author

The Commoner
    Keymaster

I own the book. It is a cumbersome but worthwile read.
    Our “relationship with the dead is a consequence of the philosophical difficulties with death itself and the phenomenology of living with the dead and their relics.” This quote struck me as perceptive. The dead do not move..they do not care for their remains…yet we construct tombs in their memories.

In this lecture, Thomas Laqueur explains that the moment we began caring for the dead, we transcended nature and created culture…this idea of the dead being responsible for much cultural activity is worth reflection.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.